Thursday, March 29, 2012

Visiting Mogilev

I am thinking about taking a trip to Belarus, especially visiting Mogilev to see a friend. I do not know anything about this city and there is not much information about it on the internet. Is it safe? What is there to do? I there anything interesting to do around this region? What about hotels? I would appreciate any help.




|||



Well... Mogilev:





200 km east from Minsk, used to be Belarus capital and an important military centre in the times of Russian empire, lots of orthodox and catholic churches, used to be an important centre of East European Jewry, there%26#39;s a 18th century arch building, railway station building more than a century old.



the city has one of the largest in Europe chemical plants, that%26#39;s why there are air pollution problems.





you may have a look at Mogilev photos here





http://globus.tut.by/mogilev/index.htm



globus.tut.by/mogilev/index2.htm#firstobj



globus.tut.by/mogilev/index3.htm#firstobj





not sure about presence of good hotels, the city is more likely to have soviet style facilities, the locals are friendly (like everywhere in Belarus:))





is Mogilev safe? well, it%26#39;s safer than NY or LA, that%26#39;s for sure)))))




|||



Hello (by the way what is your name?),





Thank you for the help. I see there is not much to do there other than seeing churches. What about the night life? It seems like there is none in Mogilev. But I have a friend who lives there and wants me to visit.





How much does it cost to go from Minsk to Mogilev by train? I might fly into Moscow and then go to Mogilev or Minsk. How much by train?





Carl




|||



u can go to mogilev from minsk :



by train 3hrs-8 bucks



by bus 3.5hrs-11 bucks



by route taxi(called %26quot;marshrutka%26quot; a ford transit type vehicle) 2.5 hours-16-20$



by taxi 2hrs-100$





but i prefer to hitch hike.so:



hitch-hiking 2hrs-7$%26amp;less(basic russian needed to bargain:))





feel free to choose)




|||



I assume that you will be traveling by plane so here it is:





Option 1: From Airport take a public BUS ( its departing around once an hour) to Vostok Bus Station ( last stop) ( bus last stop used to be train station but they changed that since bus terminal next to train station is closed, not sure if it%26#39;s reopen now), then take a city bus ( you have to buy a ticket before hand) to train station and then to Mogilev. Sounds simple, well kind of but here is setback, trains to Mogilev departing at 3:30pm every day ( there used to be 7:15pm train but when I looked at scheduling, looks like not anymore). Most of planes arriving in afternoon so the chances of you making to train is very small ( don%26#39;t worry I%26#39;m stuck in same situation too, this blows). Also OFFICIAL taxi from airport to train station cost $35.





Option 2:(easiest and cheapest) Just take bus to Vostok, and buy a bus ticked to Mogilev.





About Mogilev: There is internet places in the city but don%26#39;t know where, sorry. As for public transportations, don%26#39;t worry its pretty good, pay inside bus, trolley, etc).





What to do: You definitely want to see new skating ring and the around it. You can hop on a ship for 45 min ride along Dnepr rives. ( right across skating ring). Also you can go watch soccer game at stadium downtown. Want to swim, there is a lake in Grebinevo (not sure exact spelling). For evening, BARS BARS BARS, and CLUB%26#39;s, and GIRLS). There is a pretty new %26quot;walk road%26quot; downtown there is bunch of bars and pizza places there. I%26#39;m traveling there myself to see my friend. As for hotel%26#39;s I have no idea. You can try hotel Mogilev ( across skating ring too).




|||



Thanks webeagle12, I did not check this site for a while. I was pleasntly surprised by your input. When are you going to Mogilev? I might go there this August.




|||



I will be there this august again to see my friends, then to Germany.




|||



Maybe we will meet. I also have a friend there I want to see. Can you tell me were you are from? I might need some help with visas. I am American and I know Belarus and my country are not getting along well. I know you can get a visa at the airport but it might be risky. What do you think?




|||



I%26#39;m from US too. Look right side, all instructions are there http://www.belarusembassy.org/




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, September 29, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment